Chocolate, Marshmallows, and Graham Crackers... Oh my!
What kid doesn't love roasting marshmallows over a campfire to make ooey-gooey s'mores? I fondly remember camping with my family and every night sitting around the fire roasting marshmallows that we'd top with classic mini chocolate bars.
Well, we can't go camping every night, but we can enjoy that same taste right in our own homes... with cupcakes! These s'mores cupcakes combine chocolate, marshmallows, and even graham crackers to give you the flavor of this gourmet dessert... without all the smoke. Let's get to the cupcakes!
How To Make S'mores Cupcakes
Start with the graham crackers
You will need a chocolate cake mix, homemade graham cracker crust mix, and 4 chocolate Hershey bars.
Picture courtesy of Rachel from Cupcakes Take the Cake on Flickr
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1.5 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons room temperature butter
- You can make the can buy the graham cracker crumbs already crushed or take actual crackers and chop them in a food processor. Mix the ingredients together thoroughly. Take about 1 T of graham cracker mix and press it firmly into the bottom cupcake liners. Break up Hershey's bar into squares. You should have 48 squares (enough for 24 cupcakes). Place one square in each cupcake tin on top of the graham cracker. Bake in a preheated oven for 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Make your cake mix. Go easy on yourself and use a chocolate cake mix from a box - I won't tell anyone!
- Add the mix on top of the melted chocolate. Place one more piece of the Hershey's chocolate bar on top of each cupcake and bake according to box instructions. Let cool.
NOTE - When we are making S'mores for an adult bonfire or other party, we often use gourmet chocolate such as Ghirardelli, Guittard, etc. instead of the standard Hershey bars.
Adding The Marshmallow Cream Frosting
Topping off your s'mores cupcake
Marshmallow Cream Frosting
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 C Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 C Powdered Sugar
- 1 T Vanilla
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the egg whites, corn syrup, and salt. Beat for 10 minutes. On low speed, beat in the sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Then blend in the vanilla. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Now comes the fun part! Use a kitchen torch to lightly brown the marshmallow cream frosting. Be careful not to burn the liners. Top off with any leftover graham cracker crumbs you may have. Serve immediately.