Do you have to be a domestic diva to create scrumptious, beautiful desserts for your loved ones? Not at all! As Valentine's Day approaches, gather up some staples - cake mixes, frosting, sanding sugar, sprinkles, candies, and other goodies - and take a look at these easy cupcake ideas.
You don't need to be an expert, but your cupcakes will make you look like one. Eat them yourself or give them as cupcake gifts; no matter which you choose, they will certainly be delicious!
To make cupcakes with frosted heart cut-outs, simply bake as usual and let cool. When they're cool, use a knife to cut off the top of each cupcake (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cupcake). Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, push it into the top and remove the excess cake so you have a heart cutout.
Apply pink or red frosting to the second half of the cupcake and then replace the top. Fill in the heart with more frosting, and voila, you're done.
These cupcakes make Valentine's Day cakes seem so plain and boring. This recipe is wonderful for anyone, but especially great for children. Whether you need to bake a dozen for your child's party or want to give your family a special treat, these will work like a charm.
If you are lucky, you have a spouse, partner, boy/girlfriend, or friend who is the peanut butter to your chocolate. These two treats are meant to be together, as they are in this wonderful cupcake from Jennifer Perillo and relish.com. These are made from scratch but are still easy and relatively quick.
For the cupcakes, you'll need:
1. Preheat oven to 350º F then grease or line two of your 12 cup muffin pans.
2. Mix peanut butter with the powdered sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy. Set this aside for filling.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together.
4. Combine the butter and granulated sugar in a bowl and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Beat eggs in one by one.
6. Pour the melted chocolate into the butter/sugar/egg mixture and beat thoroughly.
7. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture. Add vanilla and mix well.
8. Fill each cup about halfway with this mixture.
9. Take the peanut butter filling and spoon about ½ tablespoon on top of the batter. Just drop it; don't spread it.
10. Spoon batter over the peanut butter filling.
11. Bake for 18-20 minutes. You can't use the toothpick trick because the peanut butter filling should be moist. Instead, the cupcakes are done when they spring back when they are touched.
12. Remove and let cool while you prepare the frosting.
For the frosting, you'll need:
1. Combine cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter in mixing bowl. Beat until creamy.
2. Add powdered sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Frost those delicious cupcakes when they have cooled. Then wrap them up and give them as Valentine's Day gifts!
After you've made your yummy Valentine's Day treats, you'll be so proud of your creations, but then what? Instead of indulging all by yourself, why not share with others?
Package your cupcakes up pretty and hand them out to family and friends as Valentine's Day gift baskets! They will love your thoughtfulness, and even more so, they'll love the tasty desserts!
Make this February 14th extra special with these great cupcakes. Enjoy!
Image by AngryJulieMonday on Flickr