Yes, that's bloomin' onion... not blooming. I'm from the south and this is a classic southern recipe so let's do it some honor and drop that 'g'. The bloomin' onion is basically a deep fried onion that spreads out like a flower blossom. It has a delicious coating and even better dipping sauce which make it irresistible.
This bloomin' onion recipe is super easy and will make a great appetizer for the upcoming football season or family get-together. Grab a deep fryer and let's get cookin'!
1. Mix all the dry batter ingredients together thoroughly. Then mix in beer. Set aside.
2. Prepare the onions. Begin by cutting off the top 1/2 inch; then peel the onion. Slice the onion vertically about 12-15 times. Try to evenly space the slices. Turn the onion and do the same cuts again. It should look like a checkerboard pattern. DO NOT slice all the way through the bottom of the onion. It has to stay together.
3. Mix together all of the seasoned flour ingredients. Dip the onion into the flour. Gently shake to remove excess.
4. Dip the onion into the batter mixture.
5. Gently place the onion in a deep fryer at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the onion and fry for another minute and a half.
6. Drain on a paper towel. Serve in a shallow bowl. You may also remove the center petal to place a dipping sauce bowl.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate until time to serve.