Whenever I go to the grocery store, I immediately search for blackberries amongst the fruit. Blackberries are another of my favorite summer berries! Right now they're pretty plentiful in the grocery store, farmer's market or maybe even in your own garden! Below is a wonderfully moist bar recipe that will melt in your mouth!
1 cup all-purpose flour (4.5 oz)
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 oz unsalted butter, cold butter, cut up (6 tablespoons)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 very small pinch salt
2 cups fresh blackberries
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or try 1/4 granulated and 2 T. brown)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 oz unsalted butter, cut up, cold (4 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil or line with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar and salt in bowl of food processor and pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture is coarse. Alternatively, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and cut the butter in with a pastry cutter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake until the surface is dry and the edges are browned, about 20-22 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before adding filling.
- Combine the 1/4 cup sugar (+ 2 T extra if needed), cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the berries and zest until combined. Set aside.
- Prepare topping. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in food processor bowl. Add butter and vanilla and pulse until mixture is coarse.
- Spread the filling on the cooled crust. Sprinkle the topping over the filling. The whole thing will look pretty lumpy. Bake until the topping has browned lightly and the berry filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars. Makes about 12-16 depending on how you cut them.