Homemade Apple Cobbler Recipe
Apple cobbler is a delicious southern style dessert that is perfect for any family gatherings or after dinner treat. Cobblers are similar to fruit pies except they don't set in a pie crust. They are more of a fruit casserole but just as delicious. This sweet apple cobbler recipe is super easy to make and is sure to be gobbled up quickly. Serve it up with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and you have a dessert that will be getting you compliments all night.
How To Make Apple Cobbler
Apple Cobbler Recipe
Picture courtesy of tofutti break on Flickr
- 4 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon peel (fresh lemon zest is okay)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons solid shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter a deep dish baking pan.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Slice apples as uniform as possible to ensure even baking in the cobbler. In a large bowl sprinkle apples with lemon juice. Mix cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and dried lemon peel; sprinkle on apples and toss gently to coat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar and baking powder; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Add milk and stir with fork. Form dough into a ball; turn out onto floured board and roll to about a 1/2- to 1-inch larger than baking dish.
- Pour apple mixture into buttered baking dish, dot with the cut up butter. Place dough over top and seal edges. Cut vents in crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and apples are tender. Let cobbler rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of BigOven.com
More Apple Cobbler Recipes
- Apple Cobbler
HEATHER'S APPLE COBBLER: You will love this fool-proof, ... to make, crowd-pleaser apple cobbler recipe! I have tried many ... whipped topping. Serves 6. ...
- French Apple Cobbler Recipe
This apple cobbler is made with fresh sliced apples, butter, vanilla and cinnamon, and an easy drop batter topping. French apple cobbler recipe with ...
- Apple Cobbler Recipe
Food Network invites you to try this Apple Cobbler recipe from Warren Brown.
- Apple Cobbler Recipes
Complete list of Apple Cobbler Recipes from Allrecipes.com
- Easy Apple Cobbler Recipe
Nov 1, 2004 ... Try Easy Apple Cobbler Recipe from Food.com.
How To Make Apple Cobbler