Homemade Peach Cobbler Recipe
Cobbler is a pie like dessert that has no bottom pastry. A peach cobbler is a southern recipe that is very easy to make and always a hit a cookouts. Cobblers are great because they can be made in a large baking dish for transport or in individual ramekins for the family.
This peach cobbler recipe is delicious by itself but is tasty with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream on top. It can also be dressed up by adding a cup of fresh fruit like blueberries to it for more flavor and beautiful colors. Perhaps you've gotten a fruit basket that you don't picture yourself finishing; then try this recipe and share! Surprise your family with this delicious peach cobbler recipe for dessert tonight.
How To Make Peach Cobbler
Peach Cobbler Recipe
- 4 cups peeled, sliced fresh yellow or white peaches
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the summer peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
- Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- To serve, scoop your dessert onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe courtesy of FoodNetwork.com
How To Make Peach Cobbler
Score Big with Sports Themed Cupcakes!
Whether you are hosting a sports baby shower theme for an All Star Baby or even just a baseball themed birthday party for your own Little Slugger, these cupcake ideas are sure to score big with your guests. Plus, score you points for being super creative and clever!
In this post, we've covered some major team sports like football, baseball, basketball, and soccer as well as some of the individual sports like golf, tennis, and bowling. But the creativity doesn't need to stop there, have fun decorating cupcakes for any sports, it just takes a little time and thought.
Sports Cupcake Instructions from Wilton
Follow these instructions to create soccer, basketball, and baseball themed cupcakes.
Baking a Football Cup-Cake
Score a touchdown with your guests by constructing a football shaped cake from 24 different cupcakes (the extras sit to the side) that you arrange on a platter and then frost the cupcakes with a pastry bag.
The video below gives great step-by-step instructions. If you don't have time to bake a cake, opt for a football shaped cookie basket instead. They're still fun and festive.
Football Pull-Apart Cupcake Cake
Football Cupcake Idea
These adorable Gridiron Hero Cupcakes from Wilton.com are easy to decorate. Simply visit their site and follow the step by step instructions to obtain the design shown to the right.
The great thing is that you can bake up a batch of your favorite cupcake flavor, ice them with flesh colored icing, and then spruce them up through simple piping with a star shaped tip for the helmet and then a pipe tip for the eyes, mouth and nose.
Aren't they just adorable!?
These fun Winning Every Inning Cupcakes from Wilton.com consist of regular sized cupcakes to create the baseball caps along with mini cupcakes that are perfectly sized for creating baseballs.
Again visit Wilton's site to get the step-by-step instructions. You simply bake up a batch of your favorite standard and mini sized cupcakes from a boxed mix. Then frost the mini cupcakes with white icing and pipe on the red baseball stitching! You can even incorporate your town or school colors to make these even more personalized for your guest of honor.
For the caps, you create the red brim from colored fondant and then ice and pipe the top of the cupcakes with blue to create the rest of the hat. Perfect for a Little Slugger party!
Sports Cupcake Inspiration!
Image from Dessert Lover 2010 at Flickr
Soccer Cupcake Idea
With the World Cup Tournament being popular each summer, the soccer themed party has been very popular during these times. If you're looking for some great ideas for desserts, look no further than these soccer themed cupcakes.
These Soccer Team Cupcake Treats from Wilton.com are a breeze to make. Just bake and cool your favorite cupcake flavor utilizing the standard Wilton soccer themed baking cups.
Then use green icing to create a grass playing field on top the cupcake. Sprinkle on some colorful nonpareils and place a sugar-shaped soccer ball in the grass.
Basketball Cupcake Idea
Score a slam dunk with these adorable Basketball Cupcakes from Wilton.com.
To create these delicious treats, you must bake your cupcakes in a king sized muffin tin without cupcake liners. The basketballs are actually iced gourmet cookies on lollipop sticks (like a cookie bouquet) so you can either buy them at a local grocer or online OR make them yourself following the instructions at Wilton.
The cupcakes are decorated to look like basketball hoops and then the lollipop stemmed cookie is stuck into the center of the cupcake for a fun presentation.
Sports Party Supplies
If you are looking for a centerpiece idea, check out Birthday Cookie Bouquets which features cut-out cookies shaped like basketballs, tennis balls, baseballs, footballs and more. They can do double duty as dessert for your event too! Any of these will be great gifts for sports lovers. Check out all these fun birthday bouquets we offer.....
Sports Themed Cupcake Video
Betty Crocker Kitchens shows viewers how to make tennis, soccer, basketball, and baseball cupcakes to display either in a cupcake tree or on a "turf" created from green colored coconut. You just bake your favorite flavor of cupcakes and make colored icing to make each particular ball. They show you how to make pastry cones out of cellophane for the stitching and ball lines if you don't have a pastry bag.
Get your war cake!
Depression cake, also known as war cake, came about during the Great Depression. At that time, things like milk, butter, and eggs were expensive or hard to come by. They were also being conserved for use by the soldiers.
People came up with this spice flavored cake as an alternative to traditional cakes. It is a dense, but very moist, cake. with lots of flavor. I like to top mine off with a little powdered sugar. It is great for people with dairy allergies and is sure to please the pickiest of children.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 8 or 9 inch square cake pan.
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat combine; the sugar, shortening, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, salt, raisins, and water bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Add the flour mixture to the cooled raisin mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
Each serving has 197 calories and 2.4 grams of fat.
Vegan Spice Cake Videos
The Best Barbecue Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
A tasty twist on classic chicken quesadillas, this recipe combines two of my favorite things - grilling and Mexican food. We make these quesadillas all year round in my house, but they are truly a summertime favorite when we can easily grill the chicken and quesadillas outdoors. I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 medium size purple onions, caramelized
- 20 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 6 oz smoked cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite brand - we use Sweet & Sassy Famous Dave's)
- 5 - 10" flour tortillas
Photo Courtesy of Real Mom Kitchen
- Caramelize the 2 medium onions in a saucepan and set aside for later use (see instructions below for tips on caramelizing onions).
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill either on an outdoor grill or inside on a Foreman grill for 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside (you could also use a stove top grill pan inside). Let chicken rest 4 minutes, and then thinly slice on the bias.
- Once onions are done, remove them from the saucepan. To cut down on dishes, pour the BBQ sauce into the onion saucepan and cook on medium low for 3 minutes until slightly reduced and sticky. Stir in the sliced chicken to coat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or outdoor grill on medium heat. Place 5 tortillas on a large greased baking sheet for indoor baking or directly on a greased outdoor grill. Divide and layer the cheese, chicken and onions among the 5 tortillas and season with salt and pepper, to taste (put ingredients on only 1/2 of each tortilla because they will be folded over to form half circle shaped sandwiches). Fold the tortillas in half pressing down to hold in place. Brush the top tortillas with olive oil or spray with Pam. Bake in oven or grill for 7 minutes, then carefully flip the quesadillas over baking or grilling for about 5 more minutes (or until the tortillas are slightly crisp and the cheese has melted). Cut into thirds or quarters and serve on a platter with sour cream.
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Caramelized Onions Recipe
- 2 large red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Few drops of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Photo credit: Buff Chick Pea
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and they have a brown caramelized hue, about 30 to 35 minutes. If you want to add some Italian balsamic vinegar, do so about half way through the cooking process. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside to cool.
NOTE: Vidalia onions also work great for this recipe as they have a high sugar content that adds to the caramelized appearance and taste.
How To Caramelize Onions Video
Want To Save Time?
If you don't have time to grill your own chicken breasts, just buy a rotisserie chicken and dice it up or purchase those Perdue chicken shortcuts that are available in your grocer's refrigerated section.
Tips from the Chef
Do not use fat-free tortillas. Tortillas are already low-fat, but you need that 1 or 2 grams in the tortilla or they will not get crispy when you cook them. My favorite brand is La Banderita Smoked cheddar is available in most grocery stores in the deli section, near the blocks of Parmesan and Gouda cheeses.
When grating the cheese, if you want to cut down on the smoky flavor, you can trim the outside edges of the cheese first, as this is the smokiest part. You can also add a little fresh cilantro to the quesadillas, and/or use it as a garnish.